Members of American Association of University Women recently visited the Claude Wells Learning.
Terry Reible, secretary to the superintendent, lead the group on a tour of the restored facility. It was originally named Tehachapi School when it opened in 1903. Claude Wells served as principal from 1937 until 1966 when he retired. At that time the school was renamed the Claude L. Wells Elementary School. The building was occupied for 100 years until it was closed in 2003. After closing, the building was vacant until 2012 when it become home to the Tehachapi Unified School District Office.
AAUW members were impressed to learn that district maintenance staff performed the major part of the renovation in addition to their normal duties. Materials for the renovation were paid for from proceeds of the sale of the original Monroe School. The workmanship of the renovation is superb and Wells School is once again a beautiful building.
Superintendent Lisa Gilbert spoke briefly with the group and told of new methods of funding and testing. It is hoped the district will be able to restore the auditorium for public use and develop the oldest wing of the building as an early childhood learning center.
AAUW promotes education for girls and is pleased with the quality of education in Tehachapi. The next AAUW meeting will take place October 9 at the Tehachapi High cafeteria and features the robotics program.
Anyone interested in joining AAUW or attending the October meeting may call Susan Hill at 821-6008.