© 2014 by Tehachapi News
The Tehachapi News presents the News@Noon for May 13, 2014:
The latest news - William H. Dana, a former Tehachapi resident and one of the nation’s most respected aerospace pioneers has passed away. He was 83.
According to a news release from NASA, distinguished research pilot and aeronautical engineer William Harvey Dana died on May 6 after a lengthy illness.... HERE.
Don't miss the news and feature stories in this week's Tehachapi News — available in stores and coin machines around town or CLICK HERE to subscribe.
PUBLIC SAFETY REPORT
The public safety report is based upon our request to have information from the various agencies each weekday morning, covering the period since our last contact. We appreciate those agencies that are helping us bring you the News@Noon.
NOTE: Reports of traffic stops, pedestrian checks and other activities without details have been eliminated from the reports published here.
Tehachapi Police Department:
May 12, 2014
3:49 a.m. Out for investigation, officer initiated activity at Woodford-Tehachapi Road. (Hundred block). Disposition: Assignment completed.
8:26 a.m. Out for investigation, officer initiated activity at West "J" St. Disposition: Assignment completed.
9:35 a.m. Cruelty to animals report, occurred on East "I" Street. Black male wearing gray shirt and black pants - subject is being cruel to a small dog that he is walking, pulling the dog walking toward the airport. Disposition: Unable to locate.
10:08 a.m. Out for investigation, officer initiated activity at Ranch House Motel. Secure east side of building windows are open. Disposition: Assignment completed.
12:34 p.m. Grand theft report, occurred on North Mill Street. Purse stolen, $3,400 dollars of charges have been made on her credit card. Disposition: Report taken.
6:41 p.m. Auto accident, no injuries/property, occurred on East Tehachapi Boulevard. Past traffic accidents with no injury. white Toyota 2008 Scion vs. Toyota Tundra. Disposition: Report Taken.
8:16 p.m. Vandalism report, occurred on West "J" Street. Male subject broke reporting party's dining table after a verbal disturbing the peace, miscellaneous items in the kitchen and living room are broken. Disturbing party is no longer at scene, left in unknown direction. Disposition: Information only.
8:24 p.m. Spousal abuse report, occurred at Tucker Road and West Tehachapi Boulevard. Control 3 standing by with the subjects, occurred in the vehicle (no vehicle description). Disposition: Outside assist.
8:54 p.m. Assist other agencies, occurred at South Dennison Road and East Tehachapi Boulevard. Railroad arm was broken off and is laying in the street. Disposition: Outside assist.
Bear Valley Police Department:
May 11, 2014
1:41 p.m. Reckless driving, occurred on Bear Valley Road. Light royal blue small four door sedan, last seen east bound at the church, swerving between lane. Female with black or brown hair. Disposition: No further action required.
3:40 p.m. Shots fired/heard, occurred on Bear Valley Road. Elderly white male holding a rifle wearing blue jeans and jacket and it appears he is about to shoot it. Disposition: Advised.
11:03 p.m. Assist other agencies, officer initiated activity at Pellisier Road and Bailey Road. Disposition: Assisted.
Kern County Sheriff's Office
Between May 12 and the morning of May 13, the Kern County Sheriff's Office responded to 10 calls, including a disturbance of the peace and one case of malicious mischief.
Stallion Springs: Nothing to report.
California Highway Patrol: Nothing to report.
Today: Sunny, with a high near 75. Breezy, with an east wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
Tonight: Clear, with a low around 48. East wind 10 to 15 mph.
Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 80. Breezy, with an east wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
Wednesday night: Clear, with a low around 56. East wind 5 to 10 mph becoming north in the evening.
• The Friends of the Tehachapi Library will host a big book sale event Wednesday, May 14, from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., Friday, May 16, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and on Saturday, May 17, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• The Tehachapi Martial Arts Center will host the Defense Against a Bully class Friday, May 16, from 5 to 6 p.m.
• The Tehachapi Heritage League is sponsoring "Kids Day at the Museum" at the Tehachapi Museum in conjunction with National Museum Day on May 17 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• The Kern County Fire Department will host its second annual Wildfire Awareness Expo at Meadowbrook Park on Saturday May 17, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• The 8th annual Combat Hapkido self-defense seminar for men, women and teens ages 13 and up will be held Saturday, May 17, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., at the Tehachapi Martial Arts Center, located at 20418 Brian Way, Suite 6.
• The Arts, Science & Technology Education Corporation of Tehachapi (AST) is sponsoring the 2014 Tehachapi Intermediate Space Challenge for Tehachapi 4th and 5th graders at the Tehachapi Municipal Airport on May 21, from 10 a.m. To 12:30 p.m.
• Tehachapi Valley Recreation and Park District will present the Tehachapi Memorial Day Ceremony and Parade on May 26, at 10:15 a.m. The line up begins at 9 a.m. at Kmart and the parade finishes at Philip Marx Park, Mojave and "D" Street.
• The Catholic Daughters will be holding their Spring Rummage sale on Friday, May 30, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Saturday, May 31, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., in McMullan Hall at St. Malachy Catholic Church, located at 407 W. "E" St.
• Tehachapi Unified School Distrit's board of education meets 7 p.m. on Tuesday, May 13 at the Claude L. Wells Education Center, 300 South Robinson St., Tehachapi.
• Golden Hills Community Services District will meet 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, May 15 at 21415 Reeves Street.
• Smart Growth-Tehachapi Valley will host a special water meeting, "Our Water Situation," Saturday, May 17, from 10 a.m. to noon, at the Moose Lodge, located at the corner "F" and Curry Streets.
MOUNTAIN SPORTS THIS WEEK
Baseball – Game Tuesday, May 13 at 4:30 p.m. has been switched back to at home vs. Highland. Varsity in CIF Division III playoffs at Hoover on Thursday, May 16. Game will start at 4 p.m.
Softball – Varsity in CIF Division III playoffs vs. Golden Valley at home on Wednesday, May 14. Winner to play at Hanford on Friday, May 16. Games will start at 4 p.m.
Track and Field – Varsity at South Area Championships (Liberty HS) on Wednesday, May 14. First event starts at 4:30 p.m.
Swimming – Varsity at CIF Division I Championships at Clovis North High School on Friday-Saturday, May 16-17.
LATEST OBITUARIES AND DEATH NOTICES
None reported today
The next News@Noon will be published on May 14, 2014.
TEHACHAPI NEWS Subscriber Services ONLINE HELP, 24-7
SIGN UP for Breaking News Alerts from TehachapiNews.com
SIGN UP to join us on Twitter
VISIT US on Facebook
Have ideas for the News@Noon? Please send to: firstname.lastname@example.org