© 2014 by Tehachapi News
The Tehachapi News presents the News@Noon for May 7, 2014:
The latest news - William H. Dana, a former Tehachapi resident and one of the nation’s most respected aerospace pioneers has passed away. He was 83.
According to a news release from NASA, distinguished research pilot and aeronautical engineer William Harvey Dana died on May 6 after a lengthy illness.... HERE.
Stories recently posted to our website that may interest you:
Don't miss the news and feature stories in this week's Tehachapi News — available in stores and coin machines around town or CLICK HERE to subscribe.
PUBLIC SAFETY REPORT
The public safety report is based upon our request to have information from the various agencies each weekday morning, covering the period since our last contact. We appreciate those agencies that are helping us bring you the News@Noon.
NOTE: Reports of traffic stops, pedestrian checks and other activities without details have been eliminated from the reports published here.
Tehachapi Police Department:
May 6, 2014
8:06 a.m. Stolen vehicle. Occurred on Aspen Drive. Reporting party stated she is returning her brothers car who reported it stolen. Disposition: Civil problem.
8:43 a.m. Annoying phonce calls. Occurred on Oakwood Street. Disposition: Advised.
1:36 p.m. Peace disturbance. Occurred on Aspen Drive. Ex-fiance is keeping child in his custody. Custody remains in reporting party's control. Yelling heard in the background. Disposition: No further action required .
1:57 p.m. Welfare check request. Occurred on Maggie Lane. Disposition: No further action required.
3:21 p.m. Fraud using personal information report. Occurred on South Mill Street. Disposition: Report taken.
4:31 p.m. Pedestrian check. Officer initiated activity at Cherry Lane. Disposition: Arrest made, under the influence.
5:32 p.m. Driving under the influence of alcohol. Occurred on West Tehachapi Boulevard. Disposition: Gone on arrival.
7:03 p.m. Vandalism against person or property of another. Occurred on Sherwood Place. Past occurred approximately two days ago, B.B. shot through the window. Disposition: Report taken.
Bear Valley Police Department:
May 6, 2014
10:56 a.m. Annoying phone calls. Report taken at Bear Valley Police Department. Reporting Party is receiving 653 calls for new number. Disposition: Report taken.
3:06 p.m. Property damage. Occurred at 8 on Skyline Dr. Someone has ran over the mailboxes on skyline at station 2. Disposition: Report taken.
3:59 p.m. Accident with no details. Occurred on Jacaranda Drive. Cellular 911 Call: One vehicle accident, black vehicle, heard loud squeal and electricity went out. Nearest cross unknown, intersection about a mile up, transferred to fire. Disposition: Arrest made.
8:43 p.m. Animal call. Occurred on Woodbine Court. Two neighbor's dogs got into the reporting party's turkeys pens and mauled his birds. Does not know where the dogs live. Disposition: Report taken.
Kern County Sheriff's Office
Between May 6 and the morning of May 7, the Kern County Sheriff's Office responded to 10 calls, including a violation of restraining order on Weston Avenue and peace disturbance on Aspen Drive.
Stallion Springs: Nothing to report.
California Highway Patrol: Nothing to report.
Today: Mostly sunny, with a high near 51. Breezy, with a west northwest wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 42. Breezy, with a west northwest wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 53. West northwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
Thursday night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 45. Breezy, with a west northwest wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
• The Multiple Sclerosis support group will meet Thursday, May 8, from 5 to 7 p.m., at the Tehachapi Moose Lodge, located at 123 W. “F” St.
• The Stallion Springs Property Owner's Association will also host its annual Round Up and Flea Market the following weekend on Saturday, May 10, from 8 a.m. to noon, at the Community Center. Set up will commence at 7 a.m.
• The Friends of the Tehachapi Library will host a big book sale event Wednesday, May 14, from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., Friday, May 16, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and on Saturday, May 17, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• The Tehachapi Heritage League is sponsoring "Kids Day at the Museum" at the Tehachapi Museum in conjunction with National Museum Day on May 17 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• The 8th annual Combat Hapkido self-defense seminar for men, women and teens ages 13 and up will be held Saturday, May 17, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., at the Tehachapi Martial Arts Center, located at 20418 Brian Way, Suite 6.
• The Tehachapi Martial Arts Center will host the Defense Against a Bully class Friday, May 16, from 5 to 6 p.m.
• The Arts, Science & Technology Education Corporation of Tehachapi (AST) is sponsoring the 2014 Tehachapi Intermediate Space Challenge for Tehachapi 4th and 5th graders at the Tehachapi Municipal Airport on May 21, from 10 a.m. To 12:30 p.m.
• Tehachapi Valley Recreation and Park District will present the Tehachapi Memorial Day Ceremony and Parade on May 26, at 10:15 a.m. The line up begins at 9 a.m. at Kmart and the parade finishes at Philip Marx Park, Mojave and "D" Street.
• The Catholic Daughters will be holding their Spring Rummage sale on Friday, May 30, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Saturday, May 31, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., in McMullan Hall at St. Malachy Catholic Church, located at 407 W. "E" St.
• The Tehachapi Business Watch information meeting, Thursday, May 8, at 6 p.m., at the Claude L. Wells Education Center, located at 300 S. Robinson St.
• Smart Growth-Tehachapi Valley will host a special water meeting, "Our Water Situation," Saturday, May 17, from 10 a.m. to noon, at the Moose Lodge, located at the corner "F" and Curry Streets.
MOUNTAIN SPORTS THIS WEEK
Baseball – Varsity/Jayvee at Foothill and Frosh vs. Foothill at home on Wednesday, May 7. Varsity/Jayvee vs. Garces at home and Frosh at Garces on Friday, May 9. All games start at 4 p.m.
Softball – Varsity/Jayvee at Foothill and Frosh vs. Foothill at home on Wednesday, May 7. Varsity/Jayvee vs. Garces at home and Frosh at Garces on Friday, May 9. All games start at 4 p.m.
Track and Field – Varsity at SEYL Championships (Bakersfield College) this Thursday, May 8. First event will start at 3:30 p.m.
Tennis – Varsity at CIF South Area Individual Championships on Friday, May 9. Singles will start at 2 p.m. and Doubles will start at 4 p.m.
Swimming – Varsity at SEYL Championships (Bakersfield College) on Saturday, May 10. First event will start at 9 a.m. Jayvee at SEYL Championships (Garces HS) on Wednesday, May 7. First event will start at 2 p.m.
LATEST OBITUARIES AND DEATH NOTICES
None reported today
The next News@Noon will be published on May 8, 2014.
TEHACHAPI NEWS Subscriber Services ONLINE HELP, 24-7
SIGN UP for Breaking News Alerts from TehachapiNews.com
SIGN UP to join us on Twitter
VISIT US on Facebook
Have ideas for the News@Noon? Please send to: email@example.com