© 2014 by Tehachapi News
The Tehachapi News presents the News@Noon for May 8, 2014:
The latest news - William H. Dana, a former Tehachapi resident and one of the nation’s most respected aerospace pioneers has passed away. He was 83.
According to a news release from NASA, distinguished research pilot and aeronautical engineer William Harvey Dana died on May 6 after a lengthy illness.... HERE.
Stories recently posted to our website that may interest you:
Don't miss the news and feature stories in this week's Tehachapi News — available in stores and coin machines around town or CLICK HERE to subscribe.
PUBLIC SAFETY REPORT
The public safety report is based upon our request to have information from the various agencies each weekday morning, covering the period since our last contact. We appreciate those agencies that are helping us bring you the News@Noon.
NOTE: Reports of traffic stops, pedestrian checks and other activities without details have been eliminated from the reports published here.
Tehachapi Police Department:
May 7, 2014
12:29 a.m. Suspicious circumstances. Occurred at Tehachapi Hospital on West "E" Street. Male subject came into the lobby, spent approximately 10 minutes in the restroom, grabbed some papers and left. Same subject that brought a firearm into the hospital lobby last month. Disposition: Arrest made.
1:19 a.m. Traffic stop. Officer initiated activity at West "E" Street. Disposition: Arrest made.
8:02 a.m. Auto accident, no injuries. Occurred at South Robinson Street/East Tehachapi Boulevard. Solo vehicle traffic collision. Disposition: Arrest made, driving under the influence.
2:27 p.m. Welfare check. Occurred on Santa Maria Drive. Transferred caller to Kern County Sheriff's Office to check the welfare. Disposition: Turn over to .
3:32 p.m. Disturbing the peace. Occurred at Pinon Street/Elm Street. Unknown type of situation. Unknown make of white truck chasing motorcycles off the dirt field, possibly from building jumps. Several subjects in the area. Disposition: Advised.
9:35 p.m. Disturbing the peace. Occurred on Cathy Lane. Residential family disturbance between male and female. Reporting party can hear female crying, unknown if there are children. Disposition: Arrest made, domestic violence.
Bear Valley Police Department:
May 7, 2014
6 p.m. Assist other agencies. Occurred at Cummings Valley Elementary on Bear Valley Road. Two vehicle accident Bear Valley/Cummings Valley, blocking the roadway, fire department enroute. Disposition: Assisted.
Kern County Sheriff's Office
Between May 7 and the morning of May 8, the Kern County Sheriff's Office responded to 18 calls, including a theft investigation on Zimbabwe Court and verbal peace disturbance on Ridgecrest Drive.
Stallion Springs: Nothing to report.
California Highway Patrol: Nothing to report.
Today: Mostly sunny, with a high near 62. Breezy, with a west northwest wind 10 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 46. Breezy, with a west northwest wind around 25 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph.
Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 62. Breezy, with a west northwest wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph.
Friday night: Mostly clear, with a low around 45. Windy, with a west northwest wind 25 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph.
• The Multiple Sclerosis support group will meet Thursday, May 8, from 5 to 7 p.m., at the Tehachapi Moose Lodge, located at 123 W. “F” St.
• The Stallion Springs Property Owner's Association will also host its annual Round Up and Flea Market the following weekend on Saturday, May 10, from 8 a.m. to noon, at the Community Center. Set up will commence at 7 a.m.
• The Friends of the Tehachapi Library will host a big book sale event Wednesday, May 14, from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., Friday, May 16, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and on Saturday, May 17, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• The Tehachapi Heritage League is sponsoring "Kids Day at the Museum" at the Tehachapi Museum in conjunction with National Museum Day on May 17 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• The 8th annual Combat Hapkido self-defense seminar for men, women and teens ages 13 and up will be held Saturday, May 17, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., at the Tehachapi Martial Arts Center, located at 20418 Brian Way, Suite 6.
• The Tehachapi Martial Arts Center will host the Defense Against a Bully class Friday, May 16, from 5 to 6 p.m.
• The Arts, Science & Technology Education Corporation of Tehachapi (AST) is sponsoring the 2014 Tehachapi Intermediate Space Challenge for Tehachapi 4th and 5th graders at the Tehachapi Municipal Airport on May 21, from 10 a.m. To 12:30 p.m.
• Tehachapi Valley Recreation and Park District will present the Tehachapi Memorial Day Ceremony and Parade on May 26, at 10:15 a.m. The line up begins at 9 a.m. at Kmart and the parade finishes at Philip Marx Park, Mojave and "D" Street.
• The Catholic Daughters will be holding their Spring Rummage sale on Friday, May 30, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Saturday, May 31, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., in McMullan Hall at St. Malachy Catholic Church, located at 407 W. "E" St.
• The Tehachapi Business Watch information meeting, Thursday, May 8, at 6 p.m., at the Claude L. Wells Education Center, located at 300 S. Robinson St.
• Smart Growth-Tehachapi Valley will host a special water meeting, "Our Water Situation," Saturday, May 17, from 10 a.m. to noon, at the Moose Lodge, located at the corner "F" and Curry Streets.
MOUNTAIN SPORTS THIS WEEK
Baseball – Varsity/Jayvee vs. Garces at home and Frosh at Garces on Friday, May 9. All games start at 4 p.m.
Softball – Varsity/Jayvee vs. Garces at home and Frosh at Garces on Friday, May 9. All games start at 4 p.m.
Track and Field – Varsity at SEYL Championships (Bakersfield College) this Thursday, May 8. First event will start at 3:30 p.m.
Tennis – Varsity at CIF South Area Individual Championships on Friday, May 9. Singles will start at 2 p.m. and Doubles will start at 4 p.m.
Swimming – Varsity at SEYL Championships (Bakersfield College) on Saturday, May 10. First event will start at 9 a.m.
LATEST OBITUARIES AND DEATH NOTICES
• James Arlen Jackson, May 15, 1933 – April 23, 2014 and Betty Jean Jackson, July 26, 1934 – April 24, 2014
The next News@Noon will be published on May 9, 2014.
TEHACHAPI NEWS Subscriber Services ONLINE HELP, 24-7
SIGN UP for Breaking News Alerts from TehachapiNews.com
SIGN UP to join us on Twitter
VISIT US on Facebook
Have ideas for the News@Noon? Please send to: firstname.lastname@example.org