Local News

Thursday, Sep 05 2013 09:46 AM

Trouble on 58; separate incidents result in lane closures

Related Photos

Medical and fire personnel rush the driver of a pick-up truck to the Mercy Air 14 helicopter early Thursday morning after his vehicle collided with a big rig on Highway 58 westbound in Keene. He was airlifted to Kern Medical Center, while the big rig driver had only minor injuries and was transported by ground ambulance to KMC. Photo by Nick Smirnoff

The front end of the pick-up truck that collided with a tractor trailer in Keene on Highway 58 westbound around 4:45 Thursday morning was obliterated, causing the dashboard to wrap around the driver. Crews worked to free the driver, who was airlifted to Kern Medical Center with life-threatening injuries. Photo by Nick Smirnoff

Lettuce and strawberries spill out from a trailer that caught on fire at Monolith on Highway 58 eastbound around 4 a.m. Thursday. The accident closed the right lane of the highway for several hours. Photo by Nick Smirnoff

Two incidents on Highway 58 near Tehachapi caused trouble for Thursday morning commuters.

The most serious of the two occurred just before the Hwy. 58 westbound Keene on-ramp around 4:45 a.m. According to freelance photographer Nick Smirnoff, who was on the scene, the accident involved a pick-up and semi hauling dry cement. The driver of the semi reportedly sustained minor injuries and was taken to Kern Medical Center by ground ambulance.

The pick-up truck driver, whose identity is unconfirmed, was flown by Mercy Air 14 to Kern Medical Center with life-threatening injuries. Westbound traffic continues to be diverted via the Keene exit on and off ramps. Officials do not have an estimate on when the freeway may be re-opened.

Near Monolith, Hwy. 58 eastbound traffic continues to trickle through the left lane as workers continue to clear the remnants of a burned tractor trailer.

The husband-wife driver team of the truck noticed smoke and flames coming from the trailer as they traveled to North Carolina from Salinas, Calif., in the early Thursday morning hours. The driver pulled over onto the shoulder and disengaged the truck from the trailer before the trailer was fully engulfed in flames.

The driver team said they had repairs done on the trailer brake wiring before leaving Salinas. The truck was carrying lettuce and strawberries. On-site California Highway Patrol Officer Steve Nielson estimated the right lane would re-open around 10 a.m.

Station 11 fire crews from Keene responded to the call that came in just before 4 a.m., leaving the station dry. When the second accident occurred at Keene about 45 minutes later, the Keene fire station had only a standby helicopter crew and air operations head Heidi Dinkler available to respond. Dinkler was waiting at the station for transportation to Mojave for a meeting at the time, but upon getting the call, she and the standby crew rushed to the scene and directed traffic until the California Highway Patrol arrived and fire crews could be reassigned from the lettuce truck fire.

The driver of the pick-up truck was pinned by the truck's dashboard for roughly 90 minutes before being rescued.

Battalion 1 Chief Brent Moon said this was the longest, toughest extraction the fire crew had done in a long time.

NICK SMIRNOFF contributed to this report.

Subcribe icon


Real Estate

Tehachapi Real Estate 4/15/2015
Local Advertisers

Social Tehachapi

Updates from local businesses