© 2014 by Tehachapi News
The Tehachapi News presents the News@Noon for April 2, 2014:
The latest news - The National Weather Service in Hanford has issued a Hazardous Weather Outlook for areas in the Kern County Mountains. Read HERE.
Stories recently posted to our website that may interest you:
• 'So many stumps, so little time'
Don't miss the news and feature stories in this week's Tehachapi News — available in stores and coin machines around town or CLICK HERE to subscribe.
PUBLIC SAFETY REPORT
The public safety report is based upon our request to have information from the various agencies each weekday morning, covering the period since our last contact. We appreciate those agencies that are helping us bring you the News@Noon.
NOTE: Reports of traffic stops, pedestrian checks and other activities without details have been eliminated from the reports published here.
Tehachapi Police Department:
April 1, 2014
12:32 p.m. Burglary alarm. Occurred on Elm Street. Disposition: False alarm.
5:18 p.m. Petty theft less than $400. Occurred at Kmart on West Tehachapi Boulevard. Disposition: Arrest made.
9:12 p.m. Peace disturbance verbal. Occurred at Fast Trip on Tucker Road. Disposition: Situation resolved.
April 2, 2014
2:24 a.m. Disturbing the peace. Occurred at Mulberry Villa Apartments on West "E" Street. Disposition: Report taken.
7:57 a.m. Out for investigation. Officer initiated activity at Valerie Lane. Disposition: Arrest made.
Bear Valley Springs Police Department:
April 1, 2014
5:36 p.m. Suspicious person. Occurred on Butterfield Way. Disposition: Assisted.
8:32 p.m. Disturbing the peace. Occurred on Rollingoak Drive. Disposition: Advised.
April 2, 2014
6:20 a.m. Auto accident - minor injuries. Occurred at Jacaranda Drive and Tiara Court. Disposition: Assignment Completed.
Kern County Sheriff Tehachapi Substation: Report unavailable at this time.
Stallion Springs Police Department: Nothing reported.
California Highway Patrol: Nothing reported.
Today: Snow showers likely before 11am, then a chance of rain and snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 45. Breezy, with a west northwest wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Tonight: A 20 percent chance of showers before 11pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 33. Breezy, with a west northwest wind 15 to 20 mph decreasing to 10 to 15 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph.
Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 55. West wind around 5 mph becoming south southwest in the morning.
Thursday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 38. West northwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
• First Friday Art Walk, downtown Tehachapi; April 4, various venues open from 5 to 8 p.m. with refreshments and entertainment. Open to all.
• Sleeping Beauty, presented by TCT Jr., is at 7 p.m. on Friday, April 4, and Saturday, April 5, at the Beekay Theatre. A Sunday matinee will be held April 6, at 2 p.m. Tickets are $10.
• Alan Reid and Rob van Sante are performing at 7 p.m. on Friday, April 4, at Fiddlers Crossing. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are $20. For more information, call 823-9994.
• Tehachapi Valley Arts Association's "Eggstravaganza", an annual egg decorating contest, will be accepting decorated eggs from March 31 through April 7, at Galley 'n' Gifts, 100 W. Tehachapi Blvd. Entries are open to all ages with a $1 entry fee. Voting by the public will take place from April 8 through 19, with the winners to be announced the day before Easter Sunday.
• Bear Valley Springs Cultural Arts Association will present its 30th annual art show over Easter week of April 12 through 20. The event will kick off with a reception Saturday, April 12, at 4 p.m., at Oak Tree Country Club.
• The Good Shepherd Preschool will host a picnic in the playground on Friday, April 11, from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Individuals who are, were, want to be an educator in the early childhood sector are invited to attend. Bring a picnic dinner, drinks will be provided. R.S.V.P. by calling Sarah or Candace at 823-7740.
• The Tehachapi Humane Society will host a bake and craft sale at Kmart on Saturday, April 12, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. They need bakers, craft makers and helpers for the day of the sale. Spring is the theme, if possible. Call Carol at 822-5433 if you can help out.
* The Foundation for After School Education in conjunction with the Art Science and Technology Committee will present a fashion show Saturday, April 12, at 2 p.m., at the Lisec's residence in Bear Valley Springs. Tickets cost $15. Call Kathleen at 972-9102.
* A pancake breakfast will be held Saturday, April 12, from 8 to 11 a.m., at the Tehachapi Veterans Hall located on "F" Street, with proceeds to go to help Traqcey Reese with medical bills. Breakfast will include pancakes, eggs, sausage, coffee and juice, for a $5 donation.
• The Southern Sierra Amateur Radio Club (Ham Radio) will meet Thursday, April 10, at 7 p.m., at 600 S. Dennison Rd. Guest speaker will be Howard Krawitz (AH6TX). Call 203-7005.
* AAUW will meet Wednesday, April 9, at 4 p.m., at the Tehachapi Community Church, 100 E. "E" St. Guest speaker will be Mirna Troncosco, who will talk about food choices. Call Susan at 821-6008.
• Tehachapi City Council will meet Monday, April 7, at 6 p.m., at the Wells Education Center, 300 S. Robinson St.
• The Tehachapi Unified School District's next board meeting will be Tuesday, April 8, at 6 p.m., at the Wells Education Center, 300 S. Robinson St. The regular meeting will be preceded by a session beginning at 5 p.m. to allow the community input on the superintendent selection process.
• The Bear Valley Springs Community Services District's next board meeting will be at 6 p.m. on Thursday, April 10, at the district's headquarters at 28999 S. Lower Valley Road.
MOUNTAIN SPORTS THIS WEEK
Baseball — Varsity/Jayvee vs. East at home and Frosh at East on .
Varsity/Jayvee vs. Highland at home and Frosh at Highland on . All games will start at
Softball — Varsity/Jayvee vs. East at home and Frosh at East on .
Varsity/Jayvee vs. Highland at home and Frosh at Highland on . All games will start at 4 p.m.
Swimming – Varsity/Jayvee vs. East at home () at Dye Natatorium on .
Track and Field – Varsity/Jayvee at Highland HS () vs. Highland and Garces on.
Tennis — Varsity at Highland and Jayvee vs. Highland at home () on.
Varsity vs. North at home and Jayvee at North () next .
Golf — Golf at SEYL Mini Tournament – Buena Vista Country Club () on .
LATEST OBITUARIES AND DEATH NOTICES
No new notices.
The next News@Noon will be published at noon on Thursday, April 3.
TEHACHAPI NEWS Subscriber Services ONLINE HELP, 24-7
SIGN UP for Breaking News Alerts from TehachapiNews.com
SIGN UP to join us on Twitter
VISIT US on Facebook
Have ideas for the News@Noon? Please send to: email@example.com