Margaret Kathleen "Peggy" (Nolan) Halpin was born in Bessemer, Mich., on Jan. 6, 1930. She was educated under the Sisters at the Holy Name Academy in Seattle, Wash., where she had moved with her family at the age of 9 from Lansing, Mich. She had five older brothers: Leo, Robert, Raymond, Ward and Bernard who all served in World War II. She had one younger sister, Mary Ann (Nolan) Wolfe.
Peggy applied for a job at J.C. Penny at 17, and, wearing her school uniform, she was hired on the spot. There, she met the love of her life, Eugene Halpin. Gene was a handsome young salesman and the two soon started dating. They were married at Holy Family Catholic Church on her 19th birthday, Jan. 6, 1949, in Seattle, Wash.
In 1953, Gene and Peggy moved to Los Angels. Staying at Penny's had become difficult for Gene when a supervisor hinted strongly that he should stop having children so often! Gene had visited his oldest brother, Frank, in Los Angeles, and liked the area, especially the lack of rainy weather. He took a job in the catering truck business which he managed to obtain through Peggy's cousin, Don Blumberg. He drove the truck for many years, successfully supporting his large family.
In Seattle, Peggy gave birth to Philip (1950), David (1951 — 2015), and Patrick (1952). In Los Angeles, Peggy and Gene first rented a house in El Sereno, a community of Los Angeles, on Mary Ann's Hill where there were free ranging chickens and sheep roamed the hills. They bought a small house on Portola in 1954, also in El Sereno. They then had Timothy (1954), Margaret (1956), and Mary Ann (1958). The Halpins then bought a much bigger house on Collis Avenue in South Pasadena. At the South Pasadena house, they welcomed Peter (1959), Kathleen (1961) and John (1963). In 1975, Peggy and Gene moved to the center of town on Fairview Avenue in South Pasadena where the older grandchildren have many happy memories of family gatherings.
Peggy was always very involved in every parish she attended, especially as a choir director and soloist for weddings and funerals. She had a beautiful soprano voice. An older family member told Jackie (Peter's wife) that the Nolan family was dismayed when Peggy decided to marry Gene. They thought she could have had a wonderful career as a singer, and that she gave it up to marry so young. Of course, Peggy would have said that her career as wife and mother was well worth it and much more valuable to the world. Not a very politically correct attitude today! At Holy Family Catholic Church in South Pasadena, Peggy sang in the choir under Primo Puccinelli and she directed her children and their spouses who sang every first Saturday at the 8 a.m., mass for many years.
After over 29 years in South Pasadena, Peggy and Gene retired to Tehachapi in 1989. They joined Patrick, Margaret and Kathleen who had moved there previously. Their house on Quail Springs Road was always open to all family and friends. It, like the South Pasadena house, was a real center of love and hospitality. All were welcome and all felt loved and appreciated for being there.
Peggy was a valiant fighter for the faith. She foresaw many of the problems that plague our church and society, and it became a real source of suffering for her. Seeing the world move in on her family was also difficult, but she was a real prayer warrior, remembering every family member daily in her prayers.
Peggy is preceded in death by her husband Eugene Halpin (2013), her son David Halpin (2015), and her son-in-law, Andrew Shapiro (2015).
Peggy is survived by her brother Bernard Nolan and sister Mary Ann Wolfe, and by her children: Philip Halpin (Nancy), of Pasadena; daughter-in-law Natalie Halpin, of Chesterton, Ind.; Patrick Halpin (Sandra), of Tehachapi; Timothy Halpin (Susan), of Pasadena; Margaret (Halpin) Ortiz (Gilbert), of Tehachapi; Mary Ann (Halpin) Shapiro, of San Jose; Peter Halpin (Jackie), of Altadena; Kathleen (Halpin) Santoro (Rocky), of Corydon, Ind.; and John Halpin (Joy), of Palmdale; 67 grandchildren, 97 great-grandchildren and one great-great-grandchild.