Tehachapi mountain bike team had its second race of the season March 16 and 17. There were 990 Southern California riders registered. Our team brought home one fourth-place medal and one fifth-place medal and once again many top finishers. Heritage Oak School received a second-place award fo…
Last week I watched one of my alma maters and former broadcast gigs make history. My college team, Point Loma Nazarene University, clinched the NCAA Division II West Regional Men’s Basketball Championship and punched their ticket to the Division II Elite Eight in Evansville, Ind. In the Divi…
Tehachapi Valley Wrestling Club sent six wrestlers to the California USA Wrestling Folkstyle State Tournament held in Fresno on March 9 and 10.
I’m not about to join the $500 billion lawsuit filed by a parent who felt her child was denied access to college as a result of the admittance of fake athletes scandal uncovered last week by the FBI. This included several high-profile universities, among them and the closest to us, Universit…
Tehachapi High School Track and Field split up again as the Frosh/Soph boys and girls teams traveled to Bakersfield High School to compete in the Frontier Frosh/Soph Relays, while the Varsity boys and girls of THS traveled to Taft to participate in the Wildcat Invitational.
The rain and snow clouds parted long enough last week for the Tehachapi Warriors softball team to finally play a pair of league match-ups. After a previous week of two canceled home games and a postponed Bakersfield Driller tournament, the team was understandably anxious to get back on the field.
Tehachapi High School boys golf has started the 2019 season, beginning the year at the North High tournament at North Kern Golf Course. The THS team competed against eight other Bakersfield high schools and finished in third place.
Friday evening, dozens of people sat in their warm homes under a heavy rainfall. They repetitively checked the forecast for the next day’s wavering rain prediction, with a 40 percent chance of rain to 60 percent, then 70 percent to 50 percent and high and low it went. They had committed to h…
Even with inclement weather, Tehachapi High School's Track and Field season got underway. The Frosh/Soph boys and girls team were at Liberty High School on March 6 to compete in the Kern Frosh/Soph Invite. The Varsity boys sent a fraction of their team to compete in the Kern Invite, also at …
Spring has almost sprung, and that means the Tehachapi Warriors softball team is back in action for a new season. Despite a slew of game cancellations due to all of our wet weather, the Warriors finally took to the field on Wednesday, Feb. 27, for a pair of games at the North Lead-Off Classi…
The weekend of Feb. 23 and 24, Tehachapi mountain bike team had their first cross-country mountain bike race of the season. Thirty-four Tehachapi students went head to head against 1,057 riders from Southern California and brought home a third-place medal along with many top finishes.
I went down this road after football season, but I feel it’s customary to write something similar now that the Tehachapi basketball season has come to an end. Having completed my first season as the public address announcer for Tehachapi basketball, I owe everyone a heartfelt thank you, beca…
The Tehachapi Lady Warriors may have had their season come to an official end with an 81-43 loss at Oak Park in the second round of the CIF Division IV State Playoffs, but not before Tehachapi accomplished one more historic feat this season, defeating Hillcrest (Riverside) 55-49 on Feb. 26 f…
Local Tehachapi BMX racer Jeremy Ireland earned his 10th win in the Novice Class racing at Metro BMX in Bakersfield on Feb. 24. Jeremy, 30, will now move up in proficiency to the Intermediate Class.
Perfect 10’s Competitive Boys Team competed at the SCMGA North Conference Championships on Sunday, Feb. 17, at Victory Gymnastics in Newbury Park. All of Perfect 10’s boys team members met the qualifying placement to be eligible to compete at state championships.
Following the Lady Warriors' loss in the Central Section Division II semifinals, one could probably ask a lot of questions. First, how is a school like Tehachapi playing Bakersfield High, a team with more assistant coaches on the bench than the Warriors have players? Or, what is a school wit…
The Tehachapi Lady Warriors struggled from the field and couldn’t survive the onslaught of three-pointers in a 73-46 loss at Bakersfield High School in the CIF Central Section Division II semifinals.
Once again it’s mountain bike season. It’s the time of year when 40 Tehachapi students brave the cold weather and mountainous terrain to prepare for NICA’s SoCal mountain bike races.
It’s been a banner week for Tehachapi home basketball. The crowds were great, the support hit the next level and for the Lady Warriors, that helped them advance to the CIF Central Section Division II semifinals.
A potentially historic season for the Lady Warriors was given a shot in the arm with a pair of home playoff wins last week. Now, Tehachapi Lady Warriors have advanced to the CIF Central Section Division II semifinals for the first time ever, where they will face Bakersfield High on Tuesday.
Tehachapi Valley Wrestling Club competed in the South Section Valley Qualifying Tournament in Porterville on Feb. 10. TVWC had 20 wrestlers putting their skills to the test with 17 of them qualifying for the Masters tournament.
The Lady Warriors wrapped up the soccer season "leaving it all on the field." Unfortunately, their passionate play was not rewarded with a win in the last five games.
Despite a 52-41 loss in the regular-season finale that cost the Lady Warriors the outright South Yosemite League championship, Tehachapi was still awarded the fourth seed in the upcoming CIF Central Section Division II Playoffs and could have two home games in their quest for a CIF Championship.
Well, here we go, it’s playoffs time, and as they say, “all roads lead to Selland Arena,” the home of the CIF Central Section Basketball Championships.
Senior Meghan Daffern joined a host of other Kern County athletes this past week signing a National Letter of Intent to continue their education and playing careers at a four-year institution.
Adam Lomonaco knocked down three fourth-quarter three-pointers and fellow senior Jarod Carol paced three Warriors in double figures with 16 points as the senior class shined on Senior Night with a 59-56 win over Ridgeview Friday night.
The mark of any good team is playing well throughout the season. The mark of a great team is playing their best near the end of the year.
Trailing by six points with just 44 seconds remaining in regulation, everything fell into place Friday night for the Tehachapi Lady Warriors in an improbable 59-55 overtime win at home against Bakersfield Christian.
Autumn Cote, of Bear Valley Springs, has been invited to participate with Team USA in the Women's Armlifting World Championships in St. Petersburg, Russia, in May. Cote will be competing in the women's 60 kilogram weight category, the competition's lightest.
The Warriors had a tough week in back-to-back losses. On Wednesday, Jan. 16, they hosted league best Ridgeview (lost 4-1 - OT) and traveled to West on Friday to take on the Vikings (lost 3-0). Despite the scores, the Warriors were definitely "in" both games and had multiple opportunities to …
The Lady Warriors remain just a game back of first place in the South Yosemite League as they look toward the second half of league play after a pair of wins last week against Ridgeview and West.
Apologies this week if I seem more like a cheerleader than a sports columnist, but if there was ever a time to operate in the gray area, this would be it.
The Lady Warriors opened the heart of the regular league season last week with split results. After a stirring domination of BCHS on Jan. 9, they fell to Golden Valley on Friday.
There’s some debate as to who actually first used the term “defense wins championships.” Of course, ask any “expert” on our pal the internet and you’ll receive a variety of “expert” opinions. This famous quote was actually a two-parter, which some associate with the legendary Bear Bryant of …
When Guy Dees was pulled into a meeting the week after Thanksgiving to be told he would no longer be the baseball coach at Garces High School, it left him in a tailspin.
The Lady Warriors traveled to Southern California on Dec. 27 and 28 to compete against teams from the Los Angeles area in the Hart Showcase Tournament.
With South Yosemite League play opening for the boys and girls Warriors basketball teams this week, the season starts to count with new impact, the games more important than ever.
On Dec. 21, Five EMB Martial Arts students received their Black Belts in the style of “Eclectic Mind and Body,” which is a martial art that combines techniques from several traditional martial arts styles and rolls them into one solid self-defense system.
The good news is 2019 has arrived and we’ve finally put 2018 to rest. Not sure if it’s just me but, as far as the sports world is concerned, I’m happy to hang a fresh calendar on my wall, or for a more-current reference, I’m happy to see a new year in my calendar app.