With another Memorial Day here, we should remember that, in the entire history of the United States of America, only 7 percent of all Americans have served and defended this great country as a part of our military forces. The other 93 percent enjoy the freedoms and liberties provided by the 7 percent with their service and sacrifices.

The patriotism and love for our country by this 7 percent is unquestioned because they unselfishly put country before their own personal interests. I salute them for all they have done. Wouldn't it be great if all of our elected leaders shared the same love and commitment and sense of service as the 7 percent?

Perhaps our country would be much better off if we elected more leaders who have proved their commitment to protecting and preserving our country by being a part of that 7 percent. We could hardly do worse that what we have now. Just thinking. God Bless America and the 7 percent.

— Wilbur W. Wells, Tehachapi